25 Aug 2013

I became frustrated when I couldn’t join my colleagues for youth service - Graduate

A suspect, Adegbite Tosin, who was among those paraded by the Oyo State Police Command on Thursday, August 15, has said that the hatred he developed for his lecturers after he was delayed from going to serve with his colleagues, coupled with his dire need for money, pushed into kidnapping a two-year-old girl from her mother in Ogbomoso.


The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Mr Mohammed Indabawa had told Crime Reports that the suspect, Tosin, allegedly kidnapped a two-year-old girl from her mother at knife point in Ogbomoso town on August 9, with the demand for N700,000 as ransom.

Tosin, who claimed to have just graduated from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso, was arrested by operatives of Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Oyo, after he was pursued and found inside a bush at Agaa area of the town.

Indabawa said a jack knife, cellotape, one face cap, one cable wire, a pair of sandals belonging to the little girl and a LAUTECH’s identity card were found with the suspect while the girl was rescued from him.

During an interview, Tosin told Crime Reports that he was an indigene of Ogbomoso town and graduated from LAUTECH in 2012 after studying Electrical/Electronics Engineering. He confessed that he got into trouble with the police for trying to kidnap a young girl for ransom in Ogbomoso.

Narrating how it happened, Adegbite said: “I got drunk and went to the shop of a woman who has a baby girl. I threatened her with a knife and tried to take the baby from her. My intention was to drop a note to collect a ransom of N700,000 but I was too drunk and did not drop the note. People caught up with me, beat me up and took me to the police station. On what he intended to use the money for, Adegbite replied: “Just for normal daily living like buying food and other needs.”

Why did the thought of kidnapping come to him, he was asked. It was at this point that Adegbite opened up on his frustration: “I was supposed to go for National Youth Service Corps with Batch ‘A’ but I was delayed because I used an extract from one project for my project. As a result of this, I developed a kind of hatred for lecturers in LAUTECH. That, plus greed, cloudded my judgement and I made a terrible mistake. I didn’t have much money with me, I just got drunk and went ahead with the idea,” he said.

The suspect revealed his parents were alive but separated, though both live in Ogbomoso. He also said he hatched and carried out his plan alone.

The police commissioner however said that the suspect would be charged to court after investigation had been completed.

Source: Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...