16 Jul 2013

News: ‘My share from the kidnapping was N1.2m’

The fight against kidnapping and other violent crimes by police in Lagos is still raging with the arrest of a 10-man kidnapping gang that kidnapped a Chinese and another Nigerian in Osborne Estate, Ikoyi and demanded for N20 million ransom for their release.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Alhaji Abubakar Umar Manko, yesterday paraded the 10-man gang suspects, made up of mainly young people, following their arrest by the Special Anti- Robbery Squad (SARS).


They were arrested with two locally made double-barrel pistols and 18 live cartridges .

According to Manko, “On July 3, 2013, one Adedeji Taiwo and Jimoh Olalere were arrested at Elemoro area in connection with the kidnap of one Kingsley Ifeanyi. After their confession to SARS, the arrested duo were used by SARS operatives, led by Superintendent of Police, Abba Kyari, to stage and arrest the remaining eight members of the gang. All suspects confessed to the kidnapping of Mr. Ifeanyi and one Mr. Kuang Vingjun, a Chinese staff of ZTE Nigeria Limited of No 20 Udi Street, Osborne Estate, Ikoyi where they collected N8.5million.”

His junior colleague, Ufot Akaniyene who lives in the boys’ quarters of his boss, Vinjun, gave the Chinese ZTE staff away.
He confessed to have given information that led to the kidnap of his boss. His share in the whole deal according to him was N700, 000.

The gang’s armourer, one Michael Sunday told The Guardian that he procured the arms they used for their illicit business from Cotonou in Benin Republic for N40, 000.

“The person who even sold the gun to me in Benin Republic has not been paid. We planned paying him at the end of this operation. The first gun he gave me was not working but I have to return it. My mother is from Benin Republic while my father is from Ogun State. At the border in Seme, we usually put the gun in nylon bag to avoid suspicion from Police and Customs. I will not lie to you; I am part of the main kidnapping operation. I was angry with them when they gave me a poor share of the proceed since I was the one who procured the guns.”

One Rotimi Shogbede told newsmen that he was recently introduced into the gang.

“I was introduced into this gang by my friend, Ope Dada, I have never met any of them before. I did the job with them anyway, we kept the Chinese for many days and we were giving him different kinds of food to ensure he stays alive. I shared N800, 000 from the job,” Shogbede said.

The witch doctor, one Jagbojagbo Adeyinka, said he introduced them into the Ogun cult so that they could be carrying out their kidnapping unhurt.

“I am a native doctor in Epe, I am 38years old. Taiwo and Chigozie have lived in our house before. They came to me and said I should do charm for them so that their market would sell. I asked them to start worshipping Ogun, the god of iron in my shrine. They promised to reward me if the god of iron works for them. They brought N200, 000 to me once to thank me. I asked what the big money was for; they said it was for appreciation.”

“It was later I discovered that they were into kidnapping, so I joined them. They even wanted to keep the Chinese suspect in my house, but there was no power supply in my place that was why,” the suspect said.

The kingpin, Chigozie, said he got the highest share from the crime.

According to him: “The staff of the Chinese man came and told me about the man. We went into Osborne and picked the man. We warned him to cooperate with us or face his death. We took him to the native doctor’s house at Epe, but there were issues with the power supply. We demanded for N20, 000,000million but they paid us N8.3million. I got N1.2million from the deal because we were 14 that planned the job.”

Manko said the suspects would soon be charged to court for prosecution.

Source: Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...