6 Jul 2013

News: Wike, Opara are betrayers-Amaechi

The feud between the Rivers state governor, Rotimi Amaechi and the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on one hand and President Goodluck Jonathan on the other, is unwittingly taking its toll on the once cohesive oil-rich Rivers state.


That Amaechi’s former Chief of Staff, Nyesom Wike is now the governor’s greatest albatross is not in contention. Wike, who is now Minister of state for Education has volunteered to be the arrowhead of the anti-Amaechi crusade in Abuja. But for the first time, the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) opened up on the character of his once trusted ally. But Amaechi did not stop there as he took the battle to another level by branding former deputy speaker of the House of Representatives, Austin Opara alongside Wike as ingrates who betrayed him.

Rivers State Governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi within the week, described the Minister of State for Education, Mr. Nyesom Wike and former deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Austin Opara as ingrates and betrayers. In particular, Wike, who was Amaechi’s Chief of Staff prior to his being made minister, has been involved in a long drawn political battle with the governor.

But Amaechi stated that both kinsmen of his rode to political positions through him but they have turned around to fight him instead.

The governor spoke last Saturday during a church service to mark the 60th birthday of the former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Chief O.C.J. Okocha, at the Emmanuel Anglican Church in Port Harcourt.

The governor, who was reacting to the questions directed at him by the officiating priest, the Bishop of Anglican Communion, Niger Delta Diocese, Archbishop Ignatius Kattey, expressed regret that most of those that had betrayed him were from his Ikwerre ethnic group.

Amaechi recalled how he nominated some of his kinsmen, including Wike and the former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Chief Austin Okpara, into political positions, adding that they turned around to betray him.

The governor said, “This will be the first time I will be talking about my former Chief of Staff in public. My former Chief of Staff is too small for me to talk about. I don’t want to discuss him and I have never done that before. Today will be my first and last day.

“There are men with character and there are men without character. I don’t believe that money can solve all problems and I don’t worship money.

“My greatest fear is that where am I going after here on earth? Let me also tell you that I have been betrayed several times in politics and majority of those who betrayed me are from my Ikwerre ethnic group.

“Before I became a Speaker, can we look back at Ikwerre history? We were crying; we wanted governor, we wanted this and that and the last ministerial appointment was Chief Emmanuel Aguma, a long time ago, and that was the last Ikwerre ministerial appointment.”

“Even when it was time for Opara to support me, he betrayed me in spite of what I did for him to become deputy speaker of the House of Representatives.

“Again, you can ask Mr. President, I submitted his name (Nyesom Wike) as minister. Where is he now? I, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, submitted his name as minister to President Jonathan. But where is he now? You must have character, you must be known for something,” Amaechi insisted.

Source: Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...