24 Jul 2013

News: I’m not banned – Gombe

Proprietor of disbanded Bubayaro Football Club of Gombe, Ahmed Shuaibu Gara Gombe has said that the 10-year ban handed his club by the Nigeria Football Federation for complicity in a match-fixing scandal does not affect him.


“No. As a person, I am not affected,. I cannot be affected because, I took all precautionary measures that could have forestalled what happened. It would have been against the principle of justice if they had extended the punishment to my person as only those who were present on the field of play could be punished,” Gombe said to our reporter yesterday.

He told our reporter that before the scandalous match against Police Machine of Bauchi that led to the inglorious 67-0 defeat, he warned them not to take the trip to Bauchi.

“I started suspecting them when they told me the Gombe State Sports Council chairman, Farouk Yerima said he could secure them(my club) a place in the state division one league. I said no. I did not form the club to compete in the league.

“I was away for a meeting in Bauchi, when they told me they were going to Bauchi for play-offs. I told my vice chairman that they must not go. But the secretary, the team manager and the coaches took the players to Bauchi with the connivance of the Gombe Sports Council chairman.”

“I only read on facebook how the secretary of the club was thanking the state sports council chairman for his support to the club.

The next thing I read on the net was the scandalous scoreline they conceded to the Bauchi Police team. I was not party to it and cannot be party to such a crime.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...